Thursday, January 3, 2013

Recombobulating

So, we’re back to square one.  Someone in my office (work, not doctors) just referred to the fact that she is “recombobulating” after the holidays, and that’s pretty much how I feel.  The negative blew me into a million pieces, but those pieces are starting to jiggle and come back to life and move back towards each other.  Soon enough I’ll be recombobulated.  I’m like that thing in Terminator Two.

My period started yesterday (and whoa there cramps and flow - my lining was definitely not the issue).  I had the option of starting back on birth control right away to get going on my second cycle (if you’re wondering what happened to the surgery I was going to get if this round didn’t work… I’ll explain later), but we’ve decided to take a month off and start with my next period.  Starting now would mean that stim/retrieval/transfer time would be in early-mid February, and we have a ski trip planned for the weekend of February 8 and a wedding in NYC over President’s Day weekend.  It wouldn’t kill us to miss either one, but we’ve been really looking forward to them and don’t want to put everything on pause while we go through treatment,  Even though it means a “wasted” month I think it’s important to keep those plans, enjoy life, and remind ourselves that we are more than our infertility.  It feels like a long time now, but it'll go fast (I am on a slight planning spree today) and in the long run a month is nothing.

Waiting a month also gives us time to get in a good place psychologically before trying again (I finally made an appointment with the counselor) and to really talk to the doctor about what worked, what didn’t, and what we can do differently moving forward.  I don’t want to rush in and make mistakes that could have been avoided with more reflection.

And, probably most importantly, the time between now and when I start again will give me some time to do a few everyday things that will help me feel like myself before this whole circus gets going again:

Running.  I never thought I’d miss running, but I went a little stir-crazy without it during the two week wait.  It’s too cold (and I’ve been too crampy) to go for a run yet but I’ll be out there soon.  Henry is just starting to train for a half marathon coming up in March, so I’m going to train with him for the foreseeable future.  I can’t wait. (Hopefully this will help me shed the 5-10 pounds I put on while sitting on the couch and eating Christmas cookies)

Alcohol.  I found out about my zero on New Year's Eve.  If you have to get a negative result, there are worse ways to wash it down than with red wine and steak, followed with pajamas and champagne on the couch.  I've missed alcohol.  I still doubt I’ll drink very much, but it’s good that, until I decide to detox again, the option is there.

Caffeine.  Almost as wonderful as my cocktail on New Year's Eve was my coffee on New Year's Day.  Again, I don’t think I’ll drink much of it – I drink tea, not coffee, most weekdays – but sometimes nothing can replace a steaming mug of caffeine.

Skiing.  I would have been happy to give up this year’s ski season for a pregnancy, but getting to ski is a nice consolation prize (especially since last winter was terrible but this one is looking good).  We’ll be making the trip to the mountains this weekend and at every other chance. (And, again, good for weight loss)

Fucking.  Pardon the language, but that’s what it will be.  I wasn’t totally celibate during my cycle, but between transvaginal ultrasounds, progesterone suppositories, and worry about uterine cramping, “my vagina” as I explained to Henry “was not a sexy place.”  For the next month (month and a half, really, since the birth control pills don’t affect anything), I plan to make up for lost time.  And, since my next cycle will be natural, I'll ovulate… stranger things have happened.  Plus fucking, like running and skiing, burns calories

So, the month off will be hedonistic and hopefully restorative, and with any luck the waiting won't drive me too crazy.  I DO plan to continue to blog throughout the month - it won't be completely free of doctors appointments, decisions, and nervous breakdowns - so you will be there right along with me.  Thanks for all your support :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! I am so sorry it didn't work out this time. I have been there (twice). Glad you let yourself to explode with emotions, it really does get easier, though I do have to say I am more on a mission now to make it work. I plan to do do my hydro surgery sometime this year. I think I am going to give it the old college try for a few months before the laproscopic surgery. Keep us updated! - Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you're moving in the right direction! I really admire you for keeping your February plans and not letting TTC take over your life!
    Take FULL advantage of all of those things you didn't have during the TWW!! Live it up, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. more booze, caffeine & sex?? sounds like you've come up with a fabulous plan. enjoy the time off the next few months & i'm sure you'll be refreshed & ready to go when you start up again in march. i'm hopeful that your next cycle will bring you success.

    ReplyDelete