Monday, April 22, 2013

Adjusting Plans

Sorry for the long silence!  The whole triplets thing has thrown us into a bit of a tailspin, so we’ve been really busy.  While we’re happy, it was completely unanticipated and changes a lot of our plans.  For one, where we will be living.  Our current house simply cannot handle triplets, so we have to move.  Moving brings up the question of, “To where?”

We currently live pretty close to Henry’s family, but about two hours from mine.  I love Henry’s family (and he does, too, of course), but my family just has more of a culture of helpfulness.  To sum it up in a really stereotypical and possibly offensive way, I come from a big sprawling Irish Catholic family, and Henry’s family is very WASPy.  Make sense?

Anyway, on top of the fact that my family is the kind of family where you walk into a gathering and are immediately handed a baby, my mom doesn’t work and is really excited about helping out.  My siblings are all younger and don’t have kids, and are all really excited about helping out.  My two cousins in the area have four kids under four between the two of them, and there’s a lot of baby sharing and play dates and fun.  So it just makes more sense to live down there with triplets.
 
As luck would have it, the perfect four-bedroom, three-bath, two-acre yard house is on the market for a price we can afford in the middle of the cute little downtown of my family’s town.  We could make an offer tomorrow!

Except.

Except, the town is a little bit isolated, and Henry doesn’t have a job lined up for down there.  Neither of us wants him to do the grueling hour-long commute into DC, so we want to wait until we’re sure he’s going to have a somewhat-convenient job before making an offer.  And all the while there’s another family circling the house.  So he’s frantically looking for a job in the hopes that we can beat the other family and get this house.  (It’s really a great house, and makes moving out of the city and to the middle of nowhere MUCH less of a sacrifice.)

But at the same time, I’m not exactly excited about the thought of betting large sums of money that I’m going to STAY pregnant with triplets – my last ultrasound was only at 7 weeks 2 days, and even though we saw strong heartbeats we still have a LONG way to go before we’re out of the danger period for losing one, two, or all three babies.  I have another ultrasound at 9 weeks exactly, so hopefully we will know more and feel more confident then.

But if I am really having triplets, we have to act fast on everything, because having triplets cuts two months off the end of the pregnancy, and probably another month off for me because of bed rest.  Considering that I'm already 8 weeks into the pregnancy, I'm already feeling a time crunch!

So, it’s just a lot to think about, and you can probably tell by my writing that we’re feeling a little crazy!  I know it’ll all work out, but it’s just a little wild right now while we rethink everything but also try to wait and see what's really happening.

And all this before we’ve even told our friends…

1 comment:

  1. Oy! Lots of things to think about but I am with you on the stress of wondering how long to wait to see if all three make it past the first trimester at least. Like I always say, babies don't take up much room, just their stuff and heck, they can sleep in a drawer on the floor like the old days. =)

    ReplyDelete