Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Hope

If you read my post from last Friday, you know that I was putting a lot of hope into the last few days.  They (especially last night) haven’t disappointed.

I’m resisting the temptation to turn Henry’s success at the bar and Obama/marriage equality’s success in the polls into a “sign” about my fertility.  That’s insulting to the amount of work Henry put into studying for the bar, and to my gay friends whose lives are actually going to change as a result of this election.  These things are not about me.

But the news we’ve gotten over this week has reassured me that, contrary to how it’s occasionally felt lately, good things are still capable of happening for me, my family, and my friends. The re-election of a president who campaigned on hope has ignited some of my own.  I’ll let him take it from here…

"I’m not talking about blind optimism, the kind of hope that just ignores the enormity of the tasks ahead or the road blocks that stand in our path. I’m not talking about the wishful idealism that allows us to just sit on the sidelines or shirk from a fight. I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting." (President Obama's Victory Speech, November 7, 2012)

The next few months are going to be full of reaching, working, and fighting.  And, as much as possible, full of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment