Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Really, Aetna?


I’m pretty used to marketers assuming I’m pregnant – TheBump.com has been on me to get knocked up since the my wedding day, Facebook has shown me baby-related ads since I got engaged (no, Facebook, it wasn’t a shotgun wedding) and somehow I ended up with a free subscription to Parenting magazine, which always seems to show up in my mailbox on the worst possible days.

But I never expected to get marketing for baby-related stuff from my insurance company – c’mon, Aetna, if anyone knows I’m not pregnant, it’s you!  A few weeks ago you authorized my IVF treatment, and how you’re sending me this crap?  Really, Aetna?  Really?

Look what arrived in my mailbox yesterday! A DVD about pregnancy and birth, and a brochure for a maternity program.

I really do appreciate your confidence in the success of my IVF, I do.  And I promise to watch that DVD and maybe even join your maternity program as soon as I get my positive.  But... who there thought that this was a good idea?

I’ll forgive you this one, Aetna, because you’ve been great so far.  And while I was a little annoyed when I saw what was in the envelope, mostly I was relieved – after all, when you’re using up thousands of dollars worth of benefits, the last thing you want to get in your mailbox is a thick envelope from your insurance company.  I’ll take some insensitive marketing material over a giant bill any day.

But don’t do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment