Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Waiting: Day One

Well, I am officially in my two week wait!  We transferred two embryos yesterday – the four-day old embryo that fertilized naturally (Eggbert) and the three-day old embryo that was rescue ICSIed (Frankenstein).  One more embryo (Tracey Jr.) is still growing in the lab, and will be frozen in a couple days if it makes it to blastocyst.

Yesterday morning was crazy.  I was still expecting to do the transfer on Tuesday but my nurse was supposed to call me between 7:30-8 to give me the final word.  So I got in the shower at 7 on the assumption that I was getting ready for work.  I got out at 7:24, and there was a message on my phone – a nurse I’d never talked to before, telling me that my transfer was scheduled for that day!  Of course, this strange nurse didn’t leave any additional information on my voicemail, and it was early enough that when I tried to call back the answering machine still listed the clinic as “closed.”  So I started getting ready for my transfer, wondering why it had been rescheduled.  The only thing I could think of was that one of my embryos had stopped growing.

A part of me wondered if there was some sort of mix-up, and I was actually still on for Tuesday.  So I called MY nurse, and luckily she answered.  She confirmed that the lab’s recommendation was now to transfer that day, but couldn’t tell me why.  She did give me a little more info about the embryos that were scheduled to transfer… Eggbert had grown into a morula, and Frankenstein was a six-cell embryo with slight fragmentation.  No word on Tracey Jr., but he was looking good enough that they were going to keep watching him in the hopes of freezing him.

So that made me feel a little bit better.  I’m assuming that they moved the transfer up because Frankenstein and Tracey Jr. weren’t looking quite as perfect as they had the day before, but Frankenstein was still listed as being a “good” quality embryo (on a scale of good-fair-poor).  I also wonder if I got rescheduled for convenience sake; during my transfer I learned that I was the very last transfer the doctor was doing this year.  Maybe he’s on a flight to somewhere tropical right now….

Anyway, I’ll write more about the actual experience of the transfer (and the trigger, and the retrieval… I’m behind!) soon – after all, I’ve got some time to kill over the next couple of weeks.  For now, though, send some positive thoughts to those little embryos floating around in my uterus.  If my tubes really have been blocked this whole time, then this is my uterus’s first chance to show me what it’s got.  Don’t disappoint me, uterus!

No comments:

Post a Comment