Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Awesome GYN Visit (Part 1)

I have to tell you guys about the awesome visit to the gynecologist I had last week.  (And yes, I am well aware that this might be the first time in history that the phrase “awesome visit to the gynecologist” has ever been used.)  But I’m going to tell you about it tomorrow, because first there’s a lot of background to get through.

See, to fully understand the awesomeness of this visit and how everything came together just right to make it happen, we have to go back in time to when I was 22, fresh out of college, and children were far from my mind.  I was looking for a gynecologist near me who would take my insurance, so I went to the Blue Cross website and picked someone at random.  It turned out that her office was nice, her nurses were friendly, and best of all, I liked her – she was unflappable, a little bit mannish, and of an indeterminate age that made her seem experienced without seeming old.  I stayed with her through several insurance changes and even came back to her during breaks from grad school.

But, like so many relationships, this one soured.  It happened, ironically, when I was recommending her to a friend who asked if I liked my gynecologist.  I Googled my doctor’s name so that I could send along a link, and there the paragraph was: “Dr. Roenneburg specializes in the treatment of urinary incontinence in women of all ages, as well as pelvic prolapse, pelvic reconstruction, fecal incontinence, and the special gynecologic needs of senior and handicapped women.”  And, since at that point Henry and I were starting to seriously discuss kids, something else stood out: nowhere on the page did it list her as an obstetrician.

It was like a scene from a movie – suddenly I realized that I was always the youngest person in the waiting room.  Suddenly I realized that my doctor always seemed happy to see me and my uncomplicated gynecological issues.  Suddenly I realized that I never saw any pregnant women in the office. 

Needless to say, I felt very awkward and self-conscious about the fact that I had been going to a doctor for incontinent old ladies for years.  But I still liked her, and I tend to feel irrationally loyal to people I like, so rather than just finding someone new I tried to gently bring it up at my next appointment.  “So, we’re thinking about getting pregnant soon. Should I start seeing an OB and is there anyone you would recommend?”  But my attempt at a break-up was thwarted when she assured me that she could do the pregnancy test in her office and then send me over to an OB.  Dammit.  As I left her office, I defeatedly made the appointment for my annual visit a year later.

In the meantime, though, I had done some Googling and found my dream OB/GYN office.  It was an all-woman practice, they had an office near my office, and they did their deliveries at the hospital near my house.  They seemed young and friendly.  At one point I even bravely made an appointment with them, but something came up and I had to cancel and never rescheduled.

So that pretty much brings us to when I was starting to worry about the fact that Henry and I hadn’t gotten pregnant yet.  I decided to call my doctor and see if I could move my annual visit up a month or two so that we could run the first round of tests asap.  When I called, however, I learned that my doctor had left the practice. I could switch guilt-free!  I quickly called my dream office to get an appointment.  They made a “pregnancy consult” appointment for me right away with one of their doctors, and I felt good about it.

When I went in about a month later, I loved the doctor – she was cute and energetic and positive even in the face of my tears.  But rather than ordering tests, she gave me a referral to the doctor who is now my RE, explaining that he could do more than she could.  “He helped me get pregnant,” she said.  So I left, a little bit frustrated that I had just spent $30 to be told it sounded like I was ovulating just fine, but at least with the name of her trusted RE in my hand.  I made an appointment for my annual visit with the same doctor, and that’s the appointment that I had last week.

I’ll tell you all about it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment